There are lots of memories inside our minds – sometimes we just need a little nudge to coax them out.
What are the First Five things that come to mind when you see this:
1. Weed and Water Duties – During the summer, between my 4th and 5th grade years, my father planted a field of corn. My brother and sister and I had to go out in the field and hoe the weeds and water the corn all summer. (This was a new experience for three kids who had previously lived in the city. We didn’t like it.)
2. Sweet Corn? – When our corn was grown my Dad put a sign up at the end of our driveway to let people know the corn was for sale. One day, when my parents weren’t home, a man came to buy some corn. I did my best to help him, but, he asked me a question – “Is it sweet corn?” I think I told him “no” because it wasn’t sweet to me. (I had no idea that there was different corn – sweet corn (sold for people) and field corn (grown for animal feed.)
3. Children of the Corn – When I was a kid I loved to watch scary movies. The movie “Children of the Corn” cured me of any desire to watch another scary movie.
4. Corn Field Maze – A few years ago Kevin and I took our children on a field trip to a dairy. They had a maze cut out of the corn field; so, we walked through the maze.
5. Corn Husks – I love that the grocery stores put big boxes next to the corn so we can shuck the corn before we buy it. (Less mess to bring home!)