How did you travel when you were a kid?
When I was a kid I had to walk up hill both ways to get to school!
For some this is a funny proclamation made by their grandfather. I tell this to my kids to be funny and the really funny part is, it was true! (When I was 11, I lived on a hill, I had to walk down our hill and back up another to get to the bus stop about a half mile away.)
Things I remember about travel as kid…
1. I did a lot of walking. When I was age 4 – 9 I lived in the city and traveled by foot almost everywhere.
2. When it was too far to walk, my siblings and I rode the city bus.
3. When my parents drove, I traveled in the “way back” of a green Chevy station wagon. It looked a lot like this one:
3. The first time I rode a school bus was for a field trip – on a tour of the city. (In the middle of 4th grade we moved to a rural location. I had to ride a bus to school everyday – I didn’t like it.)
4. It was very exciting to ride (usually just around the block) on the back of my brother’s Kawasaki motorcycle. (No helmet.)
5. I rode an elephant at the zoo once.
6. My first train ride was also at the zoo.
7. For recreation my family purchased a boat. I got to ride in it occasionally; but, I spent most of the outings on the shore, watching my older siblings ski.